What is a pulmonary Function Test (PFT)?
A pulmonary Function test (PFT) are non-invasive tests that show the function of the lungs. The PFT measures lung volume, Capacity, the rate of flow and the exchange of gases. Most companies that require employees to wear respirator’s often request the pulmonary function tests to be performed prior to wearing the respirator. These tests are performed with handheld spirometers and reviewed by our company Pulmonologist.
Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) DWC Onsite and Mobile Health Services will provide onsite testing which then will be reviewed by our company physician with additional information regarding the lung function and health of the employee to help complete evaluation for the respirator medical clearance.
Pulmonary Function Tests measure how much air volume can be moved in and out of the lungs during respiration.
What is measured:
- Tidal Volume (VT). this is the amount of air inhaled or exhaled during normal breathing.
- Minute Volume (MV). this is the total amount of air that can be exhaled after inhaling as much as you can.
- Vital Capacity (VC). This is the total volume of air that can be exhaled after inhaling as much as you can.
- Functional residual capacity (FRC). The amount of air left in the lungs after exhaling.
- Residual Volume. This is the amount of air left in the lungs after exhaling as much as you can.
- Total Lung Capacity. The total volume of the lungs.
- Forced Vital capacity (FVC). This is the amount of air exhaled forcefully and quickly.
- Forced Expiratory Volume (FEV). The amount of air expired during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seconds of the FVC test
- Forced expiratory Flow (FEF). This is the average rate of flow during the middle half of the FVC test
- Peak Expiratory Flow Rate (PEFR). This is the fastest rate that you can force air out of the lungs.
Pulmonary Function Testing can be performed for companies who already use a physician or other licensed health care professional (PLHCP) to medically clear their employees for respirator use.
On-site testing includes:
- Preliminary health assessment
- Blood Pressure Check
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Record keeping and data storage
- booklet reports